Thursday, March 10, 2005

Wherefore art thou, Axl?

Damn you, Jeff Leeds, for having my dream beat: Guns N' Roses. (Thanks Lex.) Damn you, too, for being a better reporter and writer than me. What a great story. I particularly like how, per New York Times style, Axl is identified as "Mr. Rose" upon second reference.

Roy Peter Clark at this place called the Poynter Institute has this idea about writing: When you're doing long stories, you should sprinkle a few "gold coins" throughout the piece to keep readers hooked. For instance, when I came across this sentence...

He accompanied Buckethead on a jaunt to Disneyland when the guitarist was drifting toward quitting, several people involved recalled; then Buckethead announced he would be more comfortable working inside a chicken coop, so one was built for him in the studio, from wood planks and chicken wire.


... I laughed out loud. I just read it again and laughed again. And again.

Axl Rose unfortunately appears to be a megalomaniac. But if this album ever comes out, you know I'm going to be camping out at the record store.


No comments: