Saturday, March 19, 2005

I so wish this wasn't a congressional issue

I'm not nearly as free to speak publicly about what I think of the sad, sordid and ghoulish tale of Terri Schiavo as I would like. (Let's just say that I didn't find anything Michael Schiavo's lawyer said at his news conference yesterday to be at all outrageous.)

But pictures like this one scare me.

I see Christian fundamentalism on the rise in this country, influencing all sorts of public policy debates, and I wonder if it's not much less dangerous than the rise of Islamic fundamentalism elsewhere in the world. Fundamentalism is fundamentalism, no matter whom you pray to. It breeds ignorance and intolerance and it's incompatible with secular democracy.

Quite frankly, these people give Christianity a bad name. And if I were a Christian moderate -- is there such a thing anymore? -- I'd be pretty damn concerned, and I'd be pretty damn loud about it.

Point of clarification: While I can see how someone might draw the inference, I didn't intend to conflate some religious fanatics advocating for Congress to intervene in a family dispute with the 9/11 hijackers. I intended to conflate them with Creationists and Ann Coulter.

No comments: