Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Endorsement: Boxed Wine



I'm the kind of guy who likes to drink a glass or two or three of red wine several nights a week. It's good for the heart, I say. I'm a drunk, you say. Whatever. Point is, I go through a lot of wine -- three or four bottles a week, at $7 to $12 a pop, usually.

But the other day at the Greatest Grocery Store in the World, I made a monumental discovery: decent boxed wine. Along with the Franzia-type crap on the bottom shelf, the Teeter was selling a boxed cabernet called Trove and two boxed whites by Fisheye, a pinot grigio and a chardonnay. What the heck, I drink a lot of wine, might as well try it for economies of scale if nothing else. Plus both wines claim to keep for a month after opening.

The reviews are in:

Trove 2004 cabernet sauvignon, three liters, $18.99. Good spicy aroma, strong legs. Robust cab flavor; hints of plum and strawberry, or something. A perfectly acceptable everyday red, one I wouldn't be ashamed to serve at a large party. Here are two external reviews, one okay and one bad. Fucking snobs.

Fisheye 2006 pinot grigio, three liters, $17.99. Strongly citrus, almost overly acidic. But dry and light; fine for summer afternoon drinking. A perfectly acceptable everyday white, one I wouldn't be ashamed to serve at a large party. Here's a press release from Fisheye, which calls itself a "premium" winery.

Your results may vary.

No comments: