Monday, April 09, 2007

Read this story

One of the most entertaining writers at the Washington Post convinced a famous and brilliant classical violinist to take his Stradivarius and set up shop at a Metro station during rush hour, incognito and unannounced, just to see what happened.

I'd like to think that I would have stopped, but I'm not sure. It's an amazing story -- at turns depressing and uplifting and surprising. The video clips are cool, too (the violinist, Josh Bell, is amazing). I suspect the story will win a Pulitzer next year. The writer said in an online chat that he's received more than 1,000 e-mails from all over the world, and more than 100 people told him the story made them cry, a response that surprised him.

I can't quite put my finger on why someone might cry over the story, or whether they would be tears of joy or sadness or both, but somehow I understand that they could. I didn't, of course, being a big tough guy and all, but the story kind of left a lump in my throat. Again, not sure why.

I was going to send out a blast e-mail to a bunch of people about it but then I remembered, hey, I've got a blog.

No comments: