Wednesday, June 01, 2005

W. Mark "Deep Throat" Felt, I salute you

So how cool is that? Not much I can say about it that someone else can't say better, since I wasn't alive when Watergate broke. And no sense in trying to overstate what Felt and the story he helped break meant to journalism and journalists everywhere (uh, a lot). But I sure read the book. And I sure have hoped, someday, somewhere, to have a source like W. Mark Felt. And it sure was cool to watch this story unfold today.

Let your dad have three glasses of wine tonight, Joan Felt. Here's hoping he's still with us enough to tell the story in his own words very soon.

Update: Bob Woodward's first-person account of his relationship with Throat is not to be missed. That's a book I'll want on my shelves -- in hardcover. The New York Times' account, amusingly, seems to drip with scorn for Woodward. And they quickly shunted it off the lead portion of their Web site. Why not? I mean, there was big news today, like a new SEC chief!

Double Update: I'm sympathetic to this line of reasoning. And I'm a little disappointed that the first live comment we see out of Mr. Felt himself appears to be this. I hope he kept Woodward-like records of his days as Deep Throat, because I'm despairing of ever hearing the story in his own words.

No comments: